Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VA Loses another Hard Drive with data on 48,000 veterans

From: "Justin Ross" <RossJ () sddpc org>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 09:45:04 -0800

Unfortunate as it is, security has to have buy in from the top down. Which usually only happens once a vulnerability on
your network is exploited, and ends up costing the company (monetarily, reputation, or otherwise). Sometimes the only
thing we can do is CYA, and warn our users/bosses of the dangers, have them sign a document verifying they have been
told of the risks, and just let them do what they will. Sometimes you just can't protect people from themselves.

Having said that, we currently are looking into the following products:

Utimaco Safeguard Easy
GuardianEdge
PGP Whole Disk Encryption

All seem to be feature-rich, and perform well.

Justin.Ross
CCNA, CCSE, MCSE, CISSP

"Ed" <security () kdtc net> 2/5/2007 8:34:24 PM >>>