Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VA Loses another Hard Drive with data on 48,000 veterans

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 21:13:10 -0800

Try several FDE solution before you settle on one. Most of the FDE
solutions provide 128bit AES encryption, but some are easier to use
then others. Also some offer challenge/response based password
recovery, which can be *very* helpful.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the encryption solution must be
transparent to the user and must be straight-forward to setup.

You can find a rather complete list of FDE solutions at:
http://www.full-disk-encryption.net/Full_Disc_Encryption.html

On 2/5/07, Ed <security () kdtc net> wrote:
Saqib Ali wrote:
> http://www.full-disk-encryption.net/news/article329.html
>
> Associated Press is reporting that a portable hard drive belonging to
> Veteran's Administration has been stolen. The Official Press Release
> is available at the VA website.

This is something I'm glad I can keep track of here.  This past
year alone has shown that it is easy to take things for granted
and expect things  to stay where they are, when in fact, one
shouldn't.  Unfortunately, I seem to be one of these people
who have gotten a 'little slack' in terms of maintaining a
secured network.  (Can never get my point across to users
and bosses on security issues.  They never seem to understand that
P2P and Skype really don't really belong in a corporate
environment.  The only consideration is 'low cost' and
'convenient').

Anyway, there's certainly a plethora of solutions for encryption(whole
disk or otherwise).  Does anyone here have any good suggestions?

So far, I'm looking at PGP Whole Disk and it looks promising.

Thanks.

Edmund

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP