Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: what next

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:40:43 +1000

Hi Nemanja,
For me next would be determining how it got into your server. Was it from
outside or inside the perimeter? Can you see evidence of this 'access' in
your logs-firewall/server etc?
Any other files that were modified at the same time as that file was
created?
Did it spawn any other exe's? Do you use the server for browsing-is it
necessary? How can you harden it? Is it patched and up to date with virus
defs? Was it actually an 'attacker' sitting at a console placing it on your
server or was it some drive by download?
Are there services that you could disable on the server that are
unnecessary?