Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: what next

From: "Devin Rambo" <drambo () vediorps com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 10:39:08 -0500

In short, mstls.exe is bad news:

http://fileinfo.prevx.com/adware/qq8e9f63521498-MSTL30877030/MSTLS.EXE.html

The $64,000 Question is what these goons did to your server that you haven't
detected. You can take steps to remove the malware you know about, but your
best bet is to back up your data, wipe the drive, and do a clean reinstall.
It's the only way to be 100% certain that you've gotten rid of it.

After that, all the standard disclaimers: shut off unused/unnecessary
serves, apply patches, use up-to-date antivirus, harden where possible, etc.
All of which the folks here can offer plenty of advice for doing. Good luck.

Devin