Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: PCI, EFS and the future?

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 08:33:23 +1100

Let assume that the datbase is a standard one such as Oracle or SQL. The
database is loaded into the systems memory decrypted. EFS does not
encrypt database tables. It may encrypt the ENTIRE file, but when the
database is live it is loaded Unencrypted. EFS is thus not the be all
and end all for PCI requirements.

Next, EFS does nothing to help with ensuring backups are secure on tape.

It does nothing to secure the network or internal system transfers.

The idea is that there is no cut and dry solution out of the box. It is
something that requires thought.

Craig