Security Basics mailing list archives

PCI, EFS and the future?

From: "Nick Vaernhoej" <nick.vaernhoej () capitalcardservices com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:04:16 -0600

Good morning list

In the past I have asked about encryption solutions to attain PCI
compliance.

There are numerous solutions our there and I have some questions about
EFS in particular.

We are trying to create a small area on our corporate fileserver to be
an encrypted location. When used with EFS this area should be
transparent to the end user since it ties into AD.

My gut feeling is telling me that EFS is the wrong solution and I fear
that it won't be in compliance with PCI's data at rest specs.

Does anyone have any experience with EFS file level encryption, PCI and
what the future outlook is?

Are you looking at a replacement product because the auditor didn't find
EFS adequate?

Thank you

Nick Vaernhoej