Security Basics mailing list archives

Discovering network topology

From: Jeremy <outdial () free fr>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:33:24 +0100

Hi list,

I was wondering if there were special ways to discover networks topologies / mapping networks. Are there particular tools or methods I should be aware of ? The few tools I tried only gave me approximative results. However I think nmap + the standard unix tools can do a good part of the job.

Moreover, what are the differences between discovering an organisation's network from the inside, and from the outside ? I mean, what are the best practices to discover network equipments, subnets, VPNs, etc? I know that traceroute can be a good starting point, but are there some other tools and techniques I should know ?

Regards,

--
Jeremy