Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: remote access to server.

From: Jonathan Askew JBASKEW <JBASKEW () uncg edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 16:42:48 -0500

Thanks for the responses. Why the suggestion to place an OpenBSD box in
front of the server? Would this serve as a hardware firewall? I am looking
into openvpn.net and logmein.com as they are within the right price (free).
This will be the first time I have needed to setup a remote connection and
it seems like there are a variety of options and configurations to go with.
Any one have some good tutorials? I plan to test this in a lab environment
first and then deploy. One more question: if the server is set with an
private static ip will I am assuming I will need to set the router to
forward requests on the port that is chosen to the server?
Thanks,
Blake