Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Port-Knocking vulnerabilities?

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 08:46:24 +1100

Lets look at the issues.

You rely on obscurity in a manner that changes flags in IP and makes the packets stand out. Most IDS's will alert to
this, many routers will. A TCPdump filter for unusual flags and IP ID's is common in many ISP's. So we have a security
mechanism that is advertising itself but relies on secrecy. Paradox and inconsistency No. 1.

The IP ID field is 16 bits. With a 4 packet knock we have a functional equivalent of a 3 character all symbol or 4
character alpha numeric password. I do not believe that this was ever considered secure.

IP ID fingerprinting will make the flag stand out. Without the SPA encryption mechanisms it is a simple capture (or
sniffing). Using SPA (not Port knocking) you can sniff packets and capture for analysis. The “encryption” can be
silently cracked in seconds (it is functionally equivalent to 13 bit DES) in microseconds given any modern PC.

 Please explain how this is more than a script kiddie toy and a security boon?

 As Brent stated, why not deploy a REAL crypto solution. It is 1. Easier. 2. Supported and 3 More secure (i.e. 128 or
256 bit keys take a LONG time to break).

Regards,
Dr Craig Wright (GSE-Compliance)
PS Happy New Year

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct : +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.