Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Port-Knocking vulnerabilities?

From: "Jay" <jay.tomas () infosecguru com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:49:17 -0500

Is portknocking a weaker security mechanism. Does that discount it completely.

Telnet and ftp our clear text. Just because something can be defeated doesn't mean it loses 'all' its classification
A door is meant to provide some defense to the outside of your house. I can certainly bash it in with a sledge hammer.
It still serves its purpose as a layer of the defense.

Again we are talking about security basics here. You can say it isn't viable or is inherently weak. But the way it is
implemented its used for authentication. Plain and simple.