Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network Misuse

From: "Kevin Ortloff" <Kevin.Ortloff () j2global com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 13:22:03 -0700

Also, the best way to do this is to use DNS forwarders to a address like
0.0.0.0. This will prevent the connection all together. Be aware that
yahoo and MSN has a website out there that does not use normal IM ports.
It's over port 80. But in a proxy, you can deny the site.

ars.oscar.aol.com                          AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)
login.oscar.aol.com                        AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)

relay.msg.yahoo.com                        Yahoo! Messenger
scs.msg.yahoo.com                          Yahoo! Messenger
scsa.msg.yahoo.com                         Yahoo! Messenger
scsb.msg.yahoo.com                         Yahoo! Messenger
scsc.msg.yahoo.com                         Yahoo! Messenger
scsd.msg.yahoo.com                         Yahoo! Messenger

messenger.hotmail.com                      MSN Messenger
messenger.msn.com                          MSN Messenger
gateway.messenger.hotmail.com              MSN Messenger

talk.google.com                            Google Talk

A few websites to block

Meebo.com
webmessenger.msn.com
webmessenger.yahoo.com