Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network Misuse

From: "Nikhil Wagholikar" <visitnikhil () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:45:51 +0530

Hi Mohamad,

Kurt Buff's suggestion is very fantastic & upto the point; just
connect to remote registry of client's machine & have a look into the
registry key which he has mentioned.

However, in a domain based environment, its always good to disallow
users to change their IE's proxy settings.

Step 1. Set a global group policy "proxy settings" either for all
users or for particular OU by navigating to:

User's Configuration/Windows Settings/Internet Explorer Maintenance/Connection/

Under this, we have a policy called "Proxy Settings". Set this to
whatever is suitable.

Step 2. Then disallow globally or user's in that particular OU
(whichever you planed for), by navigating to:

User's Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows
Components/Internet Explorer/

Here 'Enable' the setting called "Disable Changing Proxy Settings".

And you are done.

Get relaxed since from now onwards, no global user or users within
modified OU (whichever you had set for) will ever be able to change or
switch to any other proxy server & hence will not be able to use any
software like Yahoo or MSN Messenger.

-------
Nikhil Wagholikar
Information Security Analyst