Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Patch Management

From: "Devin Rambo" <drambo () vediorps com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 14:47:42 -0400

Arif,

I'm not sure how WSUS v3.0 handles the bloat of declined/expired patches,
but in v2.0, you have to manually clear them. If you're on v2.0, here's what
you want to do:

1. Download the WSUS server debug tool from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/updateservices/downloads/defaul
t.mspx. The link is to "Server Diagnostic Tool" just to confuse everyone,
but that's the tool you want.

2. Extract the tool to someplace on the hard drive of your WSUS server.

3. Open up a command prompt, navigate to the directory where the tool lives,
and type the following command:

WsusDebugTool.exe /Tool:PurgeUnnneededFiles

The tool is misnamed a bit. It actually purges ALL the files from the patch
repository. It will then proceed to re-download anything that you have
marked as approved for install. I'm running WSUS on a virtual server with
semi-limited storage space, so I actually run this command over the weekend
immediately following Patch Tuesday just to keep my server nice and tidy. I
strongly recommend running this so the downloads happen during off-peak
hours, for obvious reasons. HTH.

Devin