Security Basics mailing list archives

Patch Management

From: "kevin fielder" <kevin.fielder () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:27:53 +0100

Hi

With regards to WSUS -

If you think about it, it's not that bad - clients only request the
patches they require, so don't actually get all patches.  The volume of
data sored on your WSUS server will depend on which systems you have
told it to download patches for (e.g various windows versions, various
office apps, sql server etc.).

It's also worth noting that you can control the speed at which the
clients download the patches (down to 2kb / second) and have different
settings based on time - e.g. allow clients to download faster
overnight.

The randomness over which the clients choose to download a patch can
also be controlled to reduce the number downloading at the same time.

Aother approach is to use OU's to cause clients to download the patches
on different days after they are released - perhaps testing machines day
1, group 1 day 3, group 2 day 4 etc.

We are currently moving to a centralised WSUS solution covering 10s of
thousands of machines over a variety of WAN links with no issues so far.

I would also imagine any system that stores historical patches for all
the O/S's and applications that it stores will eat disk space over
time.

For a product that is free if you use microsoft servers I think WSUS
is pretty good, yes there are more flexible solutions out there, but
it does the job reasonably well.

Cheers

Kevin