Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to find process behing TCP connection ?

From: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii () shaka com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:39:03 -1000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Armstrong" <stevearmstrong () logicallysecure com>
To: "Buozis, Martynas" <martynas () ti com>; "Colin Copley" <colin.75 () btinternet com>
Cc: <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 8:10 AM
Subject: RE: How to find process behing TCP connection ?

The two best tools are tcpview and process explorer. Both are by sysinternals. Tcpview will show connections and what process is behind it, and the remote address.

Process explorer is an excellent tool that will show all processes. Hover your mouse over a listing and it will list what it provides eg svchost! Very cool. You can also look at what port, remote connection, memory and resources are being used. You can even look at the strings in the file.

Get these two and burn them to a cdrom - they make a great incident identification tool kit.

Also given the @stake tool posting yesterday, get these now, as microsoft has bought sysinternals so the day will come where these are either not free nor not available.

I have downloaded all the sysinternals  tools and will post a link to the complete zip in the next few days.

Hope this is of use to you.

Steve A

This one is also worth a look (free for non-commercial use), and has 'snapshot' capabilities:

http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunning/Screenshots.aspx

--Michael