Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How to find process behing TCP connection ?

From: "Steve Armstrong" <stevearmstrong () logicallysecure com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 19:10:46 +0100

The two best tools are tcpview and process explorer.  Both are by sysinternals.  Tcpview will show connections  and
what process is behind it, and the remote address.

Process  explorer is an excellent  tool that will show all processes.  Hover your mouse over a listing and it will list
what it provides eg svchost! Very cool.  You can also look at what port, remote connection, memory and resources are
being used.  You can even look at the strings in the file.

Get these two and burn them to a cdrom - they make a great incident identification tool kit.

Also given the @stake tool posting yesterday, get these now, as microsoft  has bought sysinternals so the day will come
where these are either not free nor not available.

I have downloaded all the sysinternals  tools and will post a link to the complete zip in the next few days.

Hope this is of use to you.

Steve A