Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Good SPAM filter for Outlook for use in a small non-profite ORG

From: "Mario A. Spinthiras" <mario () netway com cy>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:04:43 +0300

Devdas Bhagat wrote:
On 24/09/06 16:50 +0300, Mario A. Spinthiras wrote:
Is there a way to implement RBL within an email client ? If so you dont

SpamAssassin or equivalent.

need much of the super duper applications written today to stop spam. RBL usually works perfectly on mail servers. I dont see how it couldnt

DNSBLs are supposed to be used on MX hosts. anything beyond that leads
to accept, then bounce scenarios, or merely tagging as spam.

Devdas Bhagat

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

Sorry about my first post with the shell script in it. This is the final version. Still a quick whip in the kitchen. Home made cooking tastes nice. Hope this is inspirational.

Regards,
Mario A. Spinthiras

#!/bin/sh
# Mario A. Spinthiras
# mario at netway dot com dot cy
RBLS="in.dnsbl.org sbl.spamhaus.org whois.rfc-ignorant.org relays.ordb.org nonconfirm.mail-abuse.org dialups.mail-abuse.org dnsbl.njabl.org dnsbl.sorbs.net list.dsbl.org multihop.dsbl.org multihop.dsbl.org"

if [ -z $1 ]; then
echo "[*] Not enough parameters. use: $0 [ip]. Exiting."
exit;
fi

echo "[*] Setting up query transaction"
ACL=$(echo $1|cut -d"." -f1)
BCL=$(echo $1|cut -d"." -f2)
CCL=$(echo $1|cut -d"." -f3)
DCL=$(echo $1|cut -d"." -f4)
RBLHOST="$DCL.$CCL.$BCL.$ACL"
if [ $ACL -gt "255" ] || [ $BCL -gt "255" ] || [ $CCL -gt "255" ] || [ $DCL -gt "255" ]; then
echo "[*] Invalid IP"
echo "[*] Exiting."
exit;
fi

echo "[*] Performing query..."
echo "[*]"

for i in $RBLS; do
echo "[*] Checking $i"
OUTPUT1=$(nslookup $RBLHOST.$i|grep -v "#"|grep Address|awk '{ print $2 }')
if [ "$OUTPUT1" ]; then
LISTED="$i $LISTED"
else
NLISTED="$i $NLISTED"
fi
done
echo "[*]"
echo "[*] Queries complete."

if [ -z "$LISTED" ]; then
echo "[*] Congratulations. You are not listed on any of the configured RBLs"
exit;

else
echo "[*]"
echo "[*] WARNING: You are listed in the following RBLs:"
echo "[*] $LISTED"
echo "[*] CONSIDER THIS A PROBLEM!"
fi