Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Good SPAM filter for Outlook for use in a small non-profite ORG

From: me () nospam com
Date: 22 Sep 2006 15:03:23 -0000

There are costs involved all over - I mean, you will have to have a machine to run it on.  If you have no IT
department, how are you going to support it?  Personally, I would look upstream to your ISP and see what type of smap
filtering options they have.  If you are utilizing Outlook itself, I believe 2000 and 2003 have built-in spam filters.
While marginal at best, they are better than nothing.  I am aware of some commerical products, but you stated that you
did not want to pay for anything.

Since you state that this is for Outlook, my assumption is that you do not have an Exchange (or other) mail server in
house and are pulling all of the mail directly from the ISP.  If you have a mail server in house, you can look at
SpamAssasin, but I'm doubting that you'll be able to maintain it.