Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: router/firewall, wireless gateway recommendation for home user

From: FocusHacks <focushacks () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 11:40:20 -0500

I'd say that the hackable versions of the Linksys WRT54G would
probably work great for you.  Out of the box, most Linksys routers are
user friendly.  NAT will reduce all of the direct attacks unless you
open ports up to internal services.  Sub-$100 wireless
router/firewalls don't get much more customizable than OpenWRT
firmware. It has four switched 10/100 ethernet ports for the internal
network, and one 10/100 ethernet port for the WAN/external network.

You're going to have quite a bit of trouble finding a really great
firewall appliance for under $100.  Most consumer-grade home firewalls
are laughed at by "the experts" but if your goal is to provide WPA-PSK
to your wireless nodes, and to protect all internal hosts via NAT, you
should be fine.

I personally use a Juniper NetScreen 5 at home for my firewall, and
use a stand-alone access point rather than finding a compromise access
point and firewall combo.  With the rate WiFi standards have been
changing, I'm on my second AP, and looking to go 802.11n once they
stop carving the standard in silly putty.  It's nice to be able to
leave my firewall alone when changing my wireless infrastructure, and
saves me from having to re-do all the settings and learn a new
interface.