Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: router/firewall, wireless gateway recommendation for home user

From: nick <nick () mobilia it>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:13:49 +0200

sun sadm wrote:
Hi colleague,

1) We have four computers (Win XP, Win Vista, Linux, OpenSolaris)
connected directly to the Internet. I wish to setup a firewall and NAT
device to reduce direct attacks (additional security layer). It should
cost around $100 and very qualitative, user friendly,  customizable
from a security standpoint.

Which home product do you recommend and why?

2) We have an Ethernet cable setup. I don't wish to use a wireless LAN
for the four computers (different reasons). Only for my new
PlayStation Portable, we are forced to buy a wireless access
point/gateway. Here again my criteria are: standard compliance,
security, user friendly, customizable and price around $100.

Which home product do you recommend and why?

thank you for discussing and hints
Nico

I really like the draytek http://www.draytek.com line of products, they're simple to set up and get going, but you can do a great deal wih them, in terms of firewalls, VPNs, QoS, DMZs, VLANs etc..

They've even got models that you can use multiple WAN links on now (in their home product line). You can get them with 2 FXS ports, ISDN backup, USB printserver, etc.. if you want.

One of the things I like the most about them is that they reset really quickly.

I deploy them for most of my small clients, and I've been nothing but satisfied with the way they work.

Nick