Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security policy

From: "Matt Lye" <lyematt () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:10:50 +1000

The sans reading room is a good source to start with and many of the
links are good but with all the information dont forget the primary
point you should keep in your head while writing one is that if it is
even the slightest bit complicated most users wont follow it without
active enforcement.

Keep things simple regardless what you do, a simple item from a
security standpoint such as  making passwords longer and changed more
regularly also causes a larger security risk with an increase the
likelyhood of someone writing it down.  Many pentesters search for
passwords on whiteboards, postit notes, and written under, or on the
back of, your keyboard. The sad thing is that they find alot of them.

Michael Santarcangilo(sp?) from the security roundtable has alot of
good information about how to develop business security practices on
his blog http://www.securitycatalyst.com/ and should be happy to
respond to an email query on his project to improve the way people
practice information security.

Hope it helps