Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security policy

From: Russ Foster <rjf () russfoster com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:06:40 -0500 (CDT)

The Computer Security Resource Center (CSRC) of the National Institute of
Standards and Technology (NIST) has lots of good templates. Poke around
here:  http://csrc.nist.gov/

Depending on your company size and industry, generally speaking you have
an overall "Security Policy" which is fairly high level. User policies
address the specifics; email use policy (your email may be read and is
retained for 90 days, etc.), acceptable use (computers are propery of ABC
company, may be used for limited personal access)...and so on.

Find out what is common in your industry. There will be many differences
between medical, financial, educational and manufacturing needs.

The Security Policy may include one or more of the following; chain of
command, who the security officer is, escalation procedures, how often
these policies will be reviewed, how often employees will be reminded
about them (at employment start and once a year thereafter), disciplinary
actions, etc.

-r