Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security policy

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:38:33 -0400

The real complication of the issue is that you can do it anyway that you
want.

But in many cases, the overall grand security policy makes wide sweeping
general statements (e.g. "Confidential data must be encrypted", "You
must use passwords", "PCs are for business use only", etc.).  It is a
general guideline that then feeds the other policies. Then each specific
policy gives perscriptive guidance for each service area or application.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, InfoWorld, Security Columnist
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger_grimes () infoworld com or roger () banneretcs com
*Author of Professional Windows Desktop and Server Hardening (Wrox)
*http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764599909