Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Usefulness AUP on an Anonymous Wireless Network.

From: "Jerry Gamblin" <Jerry.Gamblin () house mo gov>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:18:13 -0500

Here is a story from the front page of Digg that goes along with this
discussion:

This Coffee shop offered $1 internet access but didn't collect any user
information and was shut off because someone sent spam through their
connection.  Say someone wanted to take legal action against the coffee
shop for the spam what is the coffee shops defense? Do they get a "get
out of jail" free card because it was an unknown person or would they be
liable because it happened on their network?  Their ISP has made the
business judgment that they were liable and shut off their access.

What happens if it was Kiddieporn and not spam?

Thanks,

Jerry Gamblin