Security Basics mailing list archives

PDA's/Blackberrys: risk to networksL

From: "Chinnery, Paul" <PaulC () mmcwm com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:51:19 -0400

Some of our directors are bringing in PDA's like Palms and using them to sync up with their email.  Since virus writers
and mailicious hackers are targeting these devices, we are wondering what the security impact is on networks
Can viruses be transmitted easily between PDA and the network machine they connect to?
Could a key logger prg or other malicious prg be easily transferred?
We're a small, rural hospital and although I keep pretty current on security issues I haven't see much on this forum or
other security related forums which is why I am asking the group for their opinions.
BTW, we're a W2K shop with W2K Pro and XP sp2 computers using Exchange2K and SQL.

Paul Chinnery
Network Administrator
Memorial Medical Center