Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: preventing run-as option

From: MaddHatter <maddhatt+bugtraq () cat pdx edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:21:59 -0700

From: "Dubber, Drew B" <drew.dubber () eds com>
Subject: RE: preventing run-as option

Also set an ACL on the RUNAS.EXE command to allow admins/system only if
you really don't want people to use it :)

As a general rule, this is an ineffective way to limit access. Users can
(and will) simply copy the file elsewhere and run it from there. Or if you
prevent read access, they'll copy it from another computer and copy/run
it from their USB stick.

I can't resist mentioning that if users are sharing passwords, having
runas (or not) is the least of your concerns. You've lost all ability
to enforce policies or prosecute someone who does something bad. Users
can claim, "Even though it was my user account that emailed the
company's trade secrets to our competitors [or whatever], it wasn't
actually _me_." Your company just lost a lot of money and has nobody
to blame but the IT staff who allowed users to get away with sharing
passwords.