Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: CISSP

From: Nathaniel Hall <lists () spider-security net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:28:15 -0600

jlehman () mail esignal com wrote:
I was going to take the SANS mentor class for the CISSP. But I have just discovered that they are requiring a B.S.
degree, which I don't have. I have been in the I.T. field as a sys admin/telecommunications/pseudo security person
for 10 years now. I have achieved SANS silver GCIH and CGNA in the past year and a SCP (snort certified
professional).
I don&#8217;t have a B.S. because I decided to be a chef,a nd got a culinary arts degree. I did that for 15+yeard and
made it to my goal, but I make much more today than I did as a restaurateur.

So people, should I continue to peruse the SANS track, or somehow get that B.S and get the CISSP eventually? I see
many job postings that are asking for CISSP certs.

I have 5 GIAC certifications, am a member of the SANS Advisory Board,
and can teach both StaySharp and Mentor classes.  I have never heard of
having to have a BS for any of these classes.  Are you sure your not
referring to the SANS Technology Institute (sans.edu instead of
sans.org)?  In order to obtain your Masters via SANS you have to have a
BS, but as far as I have always known you don't have to have a BS.  In
fact, it would have had to change because one of my certs is the GSEC
(covering the 10 CISSP domains) and I have an AAS.

--
Nathaniel Hall, GSEC GCFW GCIA GCIH GCFA