Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: CISSP

From: Bob Radvanovsky <rsradvan () unixworks net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:23:36 -0600

Here's what ISC(2)'s web site states: https://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?category=1187

=====================================

Applicants must have a minimum of four years of direct full-time security professional work experience in one or more
of the ten domains of the (ISC)² CISSP® CBK®.

CISSP professional experience includes:

Work requiring special education or intellectual attainment, usually including a liberal education or college degree.
Work requiring habitual memory of a body of knowledge shared with others doing similar work.
Management of projects and/or other employees.
Supervision of the work of others while working with a minimum of supervision of one's self.
Work requiring the exercise of judgment, management decision-making, and discretion.
Work requiring the exercise of ethical judgment (as opposed to ethical behavior).
Creative writing and oral communication.
Teaching, instructing, training and the mentoring of others.
Research and development.
The specification and selection of controls and mechanisms (i.e. identification and authentication technology) (does
not include the mere operation of these controls).
Applicable titles such as officer, director, manager, leader, supervisor, analyst, designer, cryptologist,
cryptographer, cryptanalyst, architect, engineer, instructor, professor, investigator, consultant, salesman,
representative, etc. Title may include programmer. It may include administrator, except where it applies to one who
simply operates controls under the authority and supervision of others. Titles with the words "coder" or "operator" are
likely excluded.

Waiver of Experience:
If certain circumstances apply and with appropriate documentation, candidates are eligible to waive a maximum of two
years of professional experience as follows:

One-year waiver of the professional experience requirement for education.
Candidates can substitute a maximum of one year of direct full-time security professional work experience described
above if they have a four-year college degree OR a Master's Degree in information security from a U.S. National Center
of Academic Excellence in Information Security (CAEIAE) or regional equivalent.

If you hold both a four-year degree and a Master’s degree, you may only apply for a one-year waiver of experience.

One-year waiver of the professional experience requirement for holding an additional credential on the (ISC)²-approved
list.

For more information, or if you have questions about your requirements, you might want to contact ISC(2) at the
following:

Contact the (ISC)² Institute for:
(ISC)²'s education programs, seminars, continuing education programs, company store and study textbooks, etc. are
coordinated through the (ISC)² Institute ("Institute") in Vienna, Va. Contact the Institute for any issues related to
registration for courses.

 PH:  +1.866.462.4777 (toll free in North American only)
      +1.703.891.6781
 FX:  +1.703.356-7977
 EM:  institute () isc2 org

This has NOT been a paid-service announcement, and is sponsored by the letter "I" and the number "2".  ;))

Good luck.

-r