Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: application for an employment

From: "Craddock, Larry" <l_craddock () wfec com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:54:57 -0600

Well ... *double sigh*

Since other various people have a shown a gross willingness to obfuscate the
obvious intent of port scanning, I'll respond. When is the last time you ran
a port scan just to make sure someone had a webserver running instead of just
pointing a browser to it?  The legitimate way to find whether or not someone
is running a service is to give it a try with a client application. If you
don't have a client app that needs to connect to a server implementing that
port then why do you need to connect in the first place?

Larry Craddock