Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: application for an employment

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:53:40 +1100

Hello,
First to your "Man in the Piddle attack". You would be guilty of any
strict liability offences. You would also be liable under offences where
negligence is involved. "Piddling" on the wall - missing the bowl etc is
damage (I would not want to clean after you ;). There are defences to
criminal trespass, being drunk would likely excuse you if you did not
damage anything.

Being drunk is not an excuse - unless you can show (proof is with you)
that you did not voluntarily drink the alcohol. There are numerous
people who have spent a few nights in the lockup for drunken escapades.

There is a difference in Port scanning and vulnerability scanning - the
law can treat these differently. Port scanning is not a criminal action
UNLESS you cause damage. Damage includes causing a system to reboot. In
the US damage is generally held (state by state varies) at being a
minimum of $5,000. Getting an incident team in to investigate the reboot
will cost more than 5k.

Scanning across international boundaries does not make anything more or
less legal. It makes enforceability more difficult. Action would need to
first be brought in the country you scanned and than that country would
need to seek to enforce it's orders under treaty rights. Scanning within
Europe is an easy case. EC laws make criminal enforcement for all EU
violations simple (in comparison).

In cases where there is no treaty - things are more difficult. You may
have action decided but not be able to enforce it. Sometimes it is
easier to just contact the embassy of the nation involved. They may or
may not do anything depending on the political climate. Port scanning in
Nth Korea or China (without government permits etc) is an offence (as is
owning the tools). Prove (and this is proof to a criminal level) who
scanned you in Cn and the Chinese govt. may have the person shot (this
is an ethical decision to make before you report to these countries).

In most western countries, port scanning (and note port scanning - not
vulnerability scanning) is not strictly illegal. Remember however that
any damage makes the act illegal and criminal in many jurisdictions. The
risk or causing damage may not be great, but the impact is. Thus the
risk of doing this without authorisation is not worth the benefit.

Regards
Craig