Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Entry Level Certifications

From: Tamarcus A Person <tperson () csc com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:18:51 -0500

Matt,

      I was in the same predicament when I first got into the Network
Security field. I highly suggest that you start with the Security+
certfiication. It is a basic certification to have under your belt but it
also helps to understand the IT security field. You can also buy the book
Security for Dummies. I have heard that it is very useful.

Good luck!

Tamarcus A. Person, GISS/DEF
IRS PRIME SPO
CSC, Maryland Technology Center
MTC Office: (301) 731-3520

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for such purpose.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

             "Matt Bowles"
             <bowles.matt@gmai
             l.com>                                                     To
                                       <security-basics () securityfocus com>
             03/26/2006 04:31                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Entry Level Certifications

I have a question and was hoping that someone could give me some advice on
the next step that I should take.  I graduated college about a year and a
half ago and have been working as a help desk tech for about two years.
During that time, I had taken on many responsibilities that had to do with
information security.  Such as creating domain accounts, access to network
resources, antivirus and patch management etc.  I have read through a lot
of
security material such as:

Wiley and Sons, the CISSP Prep Guide
Penetration Testing and Network Defense by Cisco Press
Managing Cisco Network Security Second Edition by Syngress Books
Numerous websites and security focus mailing lists such as this one and Pen
Testing and Security management

The trouble for me right now is since I only have two years of experience,
am not eligible to take the CISSP.  It requires a four year degree and
three
years of Information Security experience.  So my main question is, what
would a good certification be that I could take with only two years of
experience?

Any suggestions / comments would be greatly appreciated!

Matt Bowles

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity
Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus