Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Entry Level Certifications

From: "Jordan.Dallas" <Dallas.Jordan () SunTrust com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:29:29 -0500

Matt,
   The first cert I got geared for security was Security+.  I thought it
was a very good entry level cert.  Plus a lot of the material it covered
was the same as the CISSP.  I think the Sec+ was a bit more technically
oriented than the CISSP, but not by much.  I also got the GSEC from
SANS.  I learned a lot studying for it.  It is very much technically
oriented and covered both unix and windows type material.  I think
either of those would be a good start in security certifications.  If
you're gonna use certifications to "get ahead" or to get jobs, you also
want to look at industry acceptance of the cert and I think SANS has the
lead in this respect.  Hope that helps.