Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: application for an employment

From: "L G" <nitziya74 () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:23:02 -0500

This is a good thread which begs further discussion.

My question is, at what point is it illegal?  Do we have correspondents on
this list better versed in the law?  Obviously, based Randal's experience,
you need to be careful in Oregon, but at what point is port scanning
illegal?  And what are the precedents?

Is dig-ing illegal?  Are not dns entries, domain names and associated ip
ranges, and net block owners all public knowledge?

I guess the crudest part of my question is, was Mathias picking a lock, or
did he see a door hanging wide open?
And at what point is someone going through an open door versus looking in a
window versus admiring someone's architecture from the street?

lg