Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Signing before Encryption and Signing after Encryption

From: "Gregory Rubin" <grrubin () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:08:42 -0800

David,

Encrypting with a private key is equivalent to signing it (and is
actually how signing usually takes place).  So in your scenario (using
solely asymmetric keys):

Alice encrypts the message first with Bob's public key and then with
Alice's private key.
Mallory decrypts the message with Alice's public key (since the public
key is the inverse of the private key) and is left with just the
message encrypted to Bob's public key.

The attack proceeds as before.

Signing a message usually consists of encrypting a secure hash of the
message with your private key.  Using a hash (even one such as MD5 or
SHA1) does not add to the security at all, but instead weakens the
security of the signature.  The only reason for the hash is
efficiency.  As already noted in this thread, asymmetric encryption is
slow, so by only signing the hash, it is much faster.  Also, if
instead of signing the hash you were to sign the message, you'd double
the size of the message that needs to be transmitted.  Using hashes
introduces all of the risks associated with hash collisions, a risk
that would never occur if you were to sign the message directly.
(Please correct me if I'm wrong.  It's been a while since I've worked
on the underlying math and strategies.)