Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Signing before Encryption and Signing after Encryption

From: "John Lightfoot" <jlightfoot () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:17:04 -0600

It's my belief that it's better to sign before encryption.  That way, when
you sign the document, you know what you've signed.  If you encrypt the
message before signing it, you're verifying that you sent the encrypted
text, but you have no proof that the encryption process didn't change the
contents of what you signed.

A signing process must use asymmetric keys.  The private key is used to sign
the document, the reason the signature is valid is because the signer is the
only person who has access to the private key.  In order to verify a
signature, the recipient uses the public key.

Encryption can use either symmetric or asymmetric keys.  In general, there
is more computational overhead in using asymmetric keys, but there is
potentially more risk to using symmetric keys since the key must be shared
with the recipient.  SSL uses both types of encryption.  It uses asymmetric
keys in order to establish the initial secure channel, then uses that
channel to exchange the symmetric keys.  The symmetric keys are then used to
encrypt further communication with lower overhead.