Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Signing before Encryption and Signing after Encryption

From: "Adrian Floarea" <adrian.floarea () uti ro>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 21:12:17 +0200

Hi  Shyaam,

Yes is a basic question with a complicated answer :D. First of all,
technically, the both procedures are correct. In practice, is more used
signing before encryption. Why? Because when I want, let say, to sign and
encrypt a document is important to sign the document in clear text (this is
a concept: what you sign is what you see). Why again? It's like in real
world. If you must sign a contract, will you prefer in clear or encrypted
form? I think in clear.

Hope to help you....

Regards,

Adrian Floarea, CISA