Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Dynamicism Of Windows Registry

From: Eugene Nine <enine () ninefamily com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:09:09 -0400

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 14:57, Jason T. Hallahan wrote:
Hello and good day:

I have a question. Exactly how dynamic is the Windows Registry?
Specifically, if you were somehow able to monitor in real-time the
changes made to the registry of a system on your network (HW/SW
installation, Processes running, websites visited, etc.) would you be
able to thwart an attack by that system (user), or would it be too
little information, too late?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Jason

Pretty much like a software firewall but instead of monitoring ports your
monitoring open reg/file handles.  There are tools which will display all
registry keys open and changed.  Problem is how do you (or the average user)
filter out what is good and bad.  For example you and I probably know better
than to try to use Outlook Express but an end user would see application
msimn.exe wanted to change hkey_local_machine\software\whatever and probably
deny it not knowing what msimn is.  Then the next time they run it its
blocked and doesn't work.  My office supplied laptop has over 80 processes
running on it just after booting and logging in, imagine how many registry
keys are getting changed at any one time while its running.