Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing an encryption key within software.

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:32:14 -0700

Hello Christian,

As for using TPM - forget it. Shure, TPM would give you features to bind your software, or certain data, to one
particular machine. But what in case of a hardware Failure? You would loose all your data, unless there are some ways
to backup that stuff. I guess there have to be some ways to do that, but still - way too risky and complicated for my
taste. But TPM is

Yup most vendors, that are shipping TPMs with their system, are also
bundling solution for key escrow (PKI or otherwise) or some other
method of key recovery. Dell systems, for e.g. is including Wave Sys'
Security center. See:
http://www.wavesys.com/products/esc.html

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP