Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Desktops - is disabling TCP/445 or TCP/139 more secure?

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 22:30:31 +0200

On 2006-06-19 Thor Ryan wrote:
We have implemented Host Based Intrusion Prevention software (Cisco
Security Agent), and a debate is raging - should we deny TCP/445
traffic so SMB traffic defaults to NetBIOS over TCP/IP, should we
disable NetBIOS overt TCP/IP and only allow TCP/445 traffic, or just
let both exist on the network?

Some admins have said that TCP/445 scans are mounting, and that
denying TCP/445 is more secure.  Others say denying NetBIOS over TCP/
IP (TCP/137-139) is more secure.

To me, a socket is a socket, what matters is the service listening on
the particular port.  Is TCP/445 more secure than NetBIOS, or the
other way around?

That depends on what you need on your local network. 445/tcp (Direct-
SMB) provides just SMB/CIFS for file shares, whereas NetBIOS has a lot
more features (such as browsing or messaging).

You definitely should NOT have either of them open towards public
networks.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."