Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security Tips

From: Nathaniel Hall <lists () nathanhall net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 13:15:36 -0500

Turner Falls wrote:
Hello Everyone,

The most dreaded aspect of my job is coming up with a
"Security Tip" for our company internal newsletter
every week.  Each tip must be geared toward a general
audience of 3000+ people.
  So far I have done tips on strong passwords, doing
control-alt-del when leaving your desk, screensaver
passwords, protect laptop from theft (ie don't leave
in back seat of car, amazing how many do that...),
clean desk policy, backing up data, and dealing with
spam, spyware and phishing.  But I'm at my wit's end
to come up with more.
 Googling 'security tips' brings up a million sites,
but they all regurgitate the same basic ideas I just
mentioned.

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to reiterate the same concepts in different
ways.  I know some people that won't remember it if they hear it once,
but if they hear it two or three times they get the idea.

I currently run a security page of current events for my employer and I
have the same problem you are.  I try to add new items instead of
covering the same subjects over and over again, but sometimes you have
to in order to get them to recognize the importance.
--
Nathaniel Hall, GSEC GCFW GCIA