Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tons of Source port 80 to random Dest Port Traffic

From: "Tom Hayden" <haydenth () msu edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:42:17 -0400

As a resolution to the above issue:  The traffic continues, however
after further investigation it is nothing more than portscan traffic.
I'm not 100% positive but I'm williing to bet there is some kind of
vulnerability in the specific consumer equipment and it is seeking out
new targets randomly.

--
Tom Hayden

On 6/2/06, Deapesh Misra <deapesh () gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

On 5/18/06, Tom Hayden <haydenth () msu edu> wrote:
> Attached is a quick short summary of traffic my server ( xx.xx.xx.xx )
> has been bombarded with lately.  It's a short dump from tethereal.  I
> can't seem to figure it out - just tons and tons of traffic coming
> from a source port of 80 to seemingly random dest. ports.  Can someone
> help me identify this?

I would like to know if the problem was resolved or not and the
learnings from that. It seems to be interesting !!

thanks,
Deapesh.