Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tons of Source port 80 to random Dest Port Traffic

From: Tadej <tadej.securityfocus () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:11:08 +0200

That's a little late, but I hope it might help in understanding the case.

It has nothing to do with portscan, you are a victim of a DDoS attack.

I checked some of the sources in your logs. They all run http server on standard port TCP/80. They are sending you
SYN/ACKs. So what is going on? Somebody is sending SYN packets to all of this web servers. Source IP of these packets
is spoofed, and packets look like they are coming from your IP. So web server receives a SYN packet, and replies with a
SYN/ACK. And that is what you're getting.

This is some kind of "smurf attack" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smurf_attack, only instead od ICMP it uses TCP
packets. You can find very nice article about similar attack to grc.com on http://www.grc.com/dos/drdos.htm.

Since it is spoofed, this kind of attack is very hard to investigate and stop. The best solution I can think about is
if you could contact your ISP and asked them to filter all incoming traffic from source port TCP/80 to your IP. But
then you would lost all legitimate http traffic :-( (alternatively you could use some web proxy for http traffic, until
the attack stops).

Regards,
Tadej