Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Deny client from obtaining IP address

From: "Dubber, Drew B" <drew.dubber () eds com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:10:39 +0100

Hi

The classic way in the past was to use reservations. But its far too
easy to spoof MAC addresses and you need to keep a spare range for your
roaming laptop users (unless you want an admin nightmare), which kind of
defeats its purpose! So in summary its a crock :) I'd look to 802.1x
authentication for this kind of requirement. Alternatively Cisco/MS do
some quarantine type products (haven't looked at them though). You could
also setup a ipsec group policy on your pc's/servers which prevents
rogue computers connecting even though they can get an IP address.
MetaIP also appears to have the kind of functionality you are after
(http://www.metainfo.com)

Hope that helps

Drew