Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: on good monitoring software info

From: "Charles Hammett" <chammett () dpsolutions com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:09:40 -0400

I use a combination of GPL software here to monitor around 200 servers.

I use Nagios for monitoring the servers. This software will show you
statistics of the uptime. You can also monitor services, drives, cpu,
memory, and uptime. If the servers hit a critical treashold they will
alert you via Email, SMS, or IM.
http://www.nagios.org

I use Cacti for SNMP and historical tracking. This also produce
bandwidth reports on my Cisco switches and routers. I have been able to
configure this to monitor our UPS systems along with the PDU that is
attached to them. I can pull information from our Netscreen firewall
about sessions, CPU and Memory usage along with interface statistics. We
have an environmental monitor in the Datacenter that this software can
also track. However it will not alert you of and issue. At least that I
have been able to figure out yet.
http://www.cacti.net

The best part about both of these software packages it they are FREE !!
they run on linux/unix and take a couple hours to setup.

Regards,

Charles J. Hammett Jr.
A+ Net+ INet+ Security+ Server+ MCSA MCSE CCEA CCNA JNCIA-FWV CDA
Senior Network Operations Center Engineer
DP Solutions

9160 Red Branch Road, Suite W-1
Columbia, MD 21045
Baltimore (410) 720-3300 Ext. 131