Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure communication between WAN links

From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng () wdc com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 15:41:16 -0700

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 03:38 +0200, Epidemic SomeGuy wrote:
Hi, I am working on an assignment planning and implementing a windows
2003 network.
We have a small organisation with departments on different locations.
One of the assignments was to secure the communication between two
sites connected trough WAN links.
The question is:
What is the "best" solution to use to secure the communication between
these two sites?
We can only use Windows 2003 servers.. no 3rd party software, or
hardware based solutions..

Is Linux/BSD considered as 3rd Party? Or is the clause "Only Win2003
Servers" really strict? Otherwise, put 2 Linux/BSD boxes at both ends
and use IPSEC between them.