Security Basics mailing list archives

using Skype, hosted voip, etc. in SMB

From: Andrew Stewart <astewart () notre1 com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:33:33 -0500

I work for a SMB automotive manufacturer based in the US.  In the process of planning for a new project for which we
will have a number of people traveling international, there was a proposal to use Skype to save on long distance phone
charges when they travel to Europe and Mexico.  Skype kind of concerns me as an unknown quantity.  They do have some
security information, including one security evaluation report, listed on their site <http://www.skype.com/security/>.
They claim to use 256-bit AES "in order to actively encrypt the data in each Skype call or instant message."  Has this
claim been substantiated by any neutral third-parties?

I see that a Chinese company claims to have "cracked" the Skype protocol <http://www.voipwiki.com/blog/?p=16>
<http://www.voipwiki.com/blog/?p=31>.  Does anyone see any security risks coming out of this?

What about hosted VOIP services like NewCross Technologies <http://www.newxt.com/> and Pandora Networks
<http://www.pandoranetworks.com/> that use open protocols (ie. SIP)?  Has anyone used any of these?  What security
features should I look for in choosing one?