Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: RE: ADS Password Storage Protection

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:42:17 -0400

There are several tools that will sniff Kerberos authentication traffic and extract the hashes, including Cain
(www.oxid.it) and Kerbsniff/Kerbcrack. The hash is the NT hash, which is a tough nut to crack.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, InfoWorld, Security Columnist
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger_grimes () infoworld com or roger () banneretcs com
*Author of Professional Windows Desktop and Server Hardening (Wrox)
*http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764599909