Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: using Skype, hosted voip, etc. in SMB

From: "Morgan Reed" <morgan.s.reed () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 23:14:41 +1000

The guys at http://www.rstack.org have done quite a bit of work on
Skype (and more particularly Skype security), the Chinese DIDN'T
"crack" the Skype protocol they were simply the first people to
release an alternative client.

Rstack.org's were the first to "crack" the protocol, the details can
be found in  Philippe Biondi's and Fabrice Desclaux's blackhat
briefings eu 2006 presentation "Silver Needle in Skype";
http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-europe-06/bh-eu-06-biondi/bh-eu-06-biondi-up.pdf

Further work was done later into Skype-based botnets, details are
available in Cedric Blancher's "Fire in the Skype" presentation;
http://sid.rstack.org/pres/0606_Recon_Skype_Botnet.pdf

Depending on what type of phone system (PABX) you have currently there
are a number of approaches you could take, if your phone system
already supports VoIP setting up a VPN and having your road warriors
connect to that then use a "soft-phone" client (assuming there is one
available for your PABX) to make and receive phone calls.
Alternatively if you don't have a VoIP capable phone system (and can't
afford to upgrade to a VoIP capable PABX) installed it is conceivably
possible to set up an Asterisk box with some FXS cards in it which are
then connected to internal extensions on your phone system and use
this (once again preferably via a VPN) as a "SIP Gateway" into your
phone system, then you have your road warriors connect to the VPN and
use one of the many SIP clients which are available to connect to
Asterisk.

With regards to VPN systems, I generally recommend m0n0wall
(http://www.m0n0.ch) to my SME clients as a firewall system, it
provides IPSec and PPTP VPN services, and is also highly capable of
serving exclusively as a VPN server, there are several companies who
provide the m0n0wall systems in an embedded form-factor (details are
available on their website), some of these embedded systems include
hardware-based VPN accelerators too (they can also be purchased
separately).

Regards,

Morgan