Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ADS Password Storage Protection

From: "Robertson, Seth (JSC-IM)" <Seth.Robertson-1 () nasa gov>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:44:56 -0500

Just wanted to take a quick moment to chime in that Roger is right.  The
best analysis has concluded that length beats complexity every time.
Well, except if you use a full UNICODE character set password, in which
case even a relatively short password is very strong.  That's why
"passwords are out and passphrases are in."

A passphrase attack doesn't scale well, even when only using the average
8-year old's vocabulary.

Seth Robertson