Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Re: Re: RE: ADS Password Storage Protection

From: "dave kleiman" <dave () davekleiman com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:16:53 -0400

Winshel,

That would be because after 14 characters there is no LM hash store of the
password on a windows system.

Some excellent resources for discussions on good password polices and ideas:
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/88/312263

5-Minute Security Advisor - Choosing a Good Password Policy:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/community/columns/security/5min/5mi
n-302.mspx

Frequently Asked Questions About Passwords:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm1005.mspx

The Great Debates: Pass Phrases vs. Passwords:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm1004.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm1104.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm1204.mspx

And: